The ICEGATE portal is an essential platform for businesses engaged in import and export activities in India. To use the portal, it is mandatory to obtain an Authorised Dealer Code (Ad Code), which is a unique 14-digit number assigned by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) to entities such as private limited companies, partnership firms, and sole proprietorships.
How to register
The Ad Code acts as an identification number that enables businesses to engage in various customs-related activities online, including filing customs declarations, making payments for customs duties and taxes, and accessing other customs-related services. In this context, registering an Ad Code on the ICEGATE portal is a critical step for businesses to engage in import and export activities in India.While the AD code registration process is similar for different types of entities, such as private limited companies, partnership firms, and sole proprietorships, the required documentation and information may vary. In the following sections, we will provide detailed instructions on how to register an Ad Code on the ICEGATE portal for a sole proprietorship firm.
- Visit the ICEGATE portal (https://www.icegate.gov.in/) – This is the official website of the Indian Customs Electronic Commerce/Electronic Data Interchange Gateway.
- Click on the “Login” button on the top right corner of the homepage and select “Registered User” from the drop-down menu – This will take you to the login page for registered users.
- Enter your user ID and password and click on the “Login” button – This will take you to the dashboard of the ICEGATE portal.
- Once you are logged in, click on the “Services” tab on the top menu and select “E-Commerce” – This will take you to the E-Commerce page where you can register or modify your Ad Code.
- Select the “Register/Modify AD Code” option from the drop-down menu – This will take you to the registration page for the Ad Code.
- Select the type of AD Code that you want to register (i.e. for import or export) – Depending on your sole proprietorship firm’s needs, you can choose to register for either import or export.
- Fill in the required details of your sole proprietorship firm, such as the firm name, address, contact details, and PAN number – You will need to provide accurate and up-to-date information about your sole proprietorship firm in order to register your Ad Code successfully.
- Upload the necessary documents, such as the PAN card of the sole proprietorship firm and the proprietor’s Aadhaar card – You will need to scan and upload these documents in the prescribed format in order to complete the registration process.
- Click on the “Submit” button to complete the registration process – Once you have filled in all the required details and uploaded the necessary documents, you can click on the “Submit” button to complete the registration process.
After you have completed the registration process, your Ad Code will be activated on the ICEGATE portal. You can then use it to avail of customs-related services such as filing customs declarations, making payments for customs duties and taxes, and other related services.