Dermal filler treatment has been one of the most sort after treatment in the last decade. Most commonly hyaluronic acid gels (Restylane, Juvederm, Revanesse Versa, and Belotero) are used. While social media is filled with many photoshopped and fake results it’s important to understand the aftercare instructions fully and correctly.
Who to choose for dermal filler injections and preparation for the same is a whole different discussion that will be addressed in another article.
- There may be bruising and tenderness after the filler. Sometimes bruising can occur the next day. This is common especially in areas with lot of blood vessels like lips.
- You may apply some ice and take some Tylenol. Avoid aspirin.
- As much as possible try to sleep on your back for first 1 week after Dermal filler treatment in New Jersey, so that you do not interfere with natural integration of filler with the tissue and decrease the chances of unevenness. This is especially important to those who are side sleepers.
- Some amount of unevenness and nodularity is acceptable and will even out in most cases within a month. Gentle massage is sometimes advised by your physician. Persistent nodularity could be due to infection or excessive filler in that area. This might have to be dissolved with hyaluronidase injection.
- If you had a lip filler, try not to lick the lips for about 3 days, as it will introduce infection in the injected area by bacterial contamination.
- Also, its mandatory to NOT allow pets of any kind licking the face during the first one week. This can result in serious infection and scarring.
- Most physicians recommend minimizing the usage of mask for a week after the filler treatment in lower part of the face.
- It is also recognized in the last few years that some people might have prolonged swelling if they had certain Covid “vaccines”. In some cases, oral steroids may be needed that can be prescribed by your physician.
- If there is pale color, mottling of skin, or purple discoloration, it could be a sign of obstruction of an artery and it is an emergency. This should be attended to right away and the filler must be dissolved. There are reports of stroke and blindness resulting from the filler. Many emergency room professionals and hospitals may not have the knowledge and expertise to recognize filler side effects. They may not even have hyaluronidase enzyme in stock to reverse the filler. Also keep in mind only hyaluronic acid fillers can be reversed. In case of sight related emergency, you must be seen by a retina specialist emergently and should go to the nearest eye hospital.
- Do not travel for a week after any filler treatment for the same reasons mentioned above. People getting fillers in malls, parties, or someone’s home, by an unlicensed individual is criminal. It should be avoided. Do not fall for cheap quality and Groupon deals. It is your health.
- Do not have any dental procedures including cleaning for a minimum of 2 weeks after the filler injection treatment.
- If you had history of cold sores in the past, sometimes it’s better to have a prescription in hand and in those with recurrent episodes of cold sores to start the antiviral medication a day before.
- It is better to not address any unevenness or nodularity right away as in most cases it will settle in a month or so.
- When an infection is suspected, you must be started on appropriate antibiotic therapy by your treating physician .
If you follow these instructions, you will have a safe experience and minimize the chances of serious side effects. However, side effects cannot be eliminated altogether.