Each upholstery type will take on a specific cleaning. And it is critical to give your upholstery care by having them spruced up nicely. Why is an upholstery cleaning crucial? How should you have your upholstery cleaned? These questions and more will be answered in this read.
Why keep your upholstery clean?
- Provided long-term savings on investment: Provided you own an upholstery, you would want to get value from it. With steady cleaning and maintenance, your upholstery retains its beauty and functionality; hence there’s no need for frequent replacement, and you end up having a return on investment.
- Offers increased comfort: Be it your home sofa or vehicle seat, spruced up upholstery is welcoming at any time of the day. You can sit comfortably and breathe fresh. That your upholstery is covered in a premium quality fabric will not spare it from getting damaged if not properly and regularly cleaned. As you head back home after a stressful day, your treated and hygienically cleaned car seat or home sofa will put you at ease.
- Raises the aesthetic appeal: Every inch of upholstery fibre feature: texture, colour, sheen, etc. will remain intact thanks to the right cleaning. Most importantly, odour, stain, pet hairs, dust, dirt, plus other contaminants are removed when you clean your upholstery. This way, they keep looking new and attractive as the colour hardly fades.
- Promotes environmental health and safety: Dirty upholstery adds up to contaminated airflow around the house. This is because accumulated sofa grime and dust will encourage the formation of mould and mildew, which carries a lot of bacteria and pathogens. The more you sit on such sofa, the more you release these harmful microbes into the air and environment. This poses risks to health and living conditions and can even be worse for people with allergies. So, refresh the air in your space by sprucing up your upholstery as often as possible.
- They are expected to be cleaned from the time of manufacture. The fabric of your upholstery is padded, which is why spills are absorbed should they happen. This is why regardless of having removed the stain from the surface of the sofa, you may see it again after some time. So, the manufacturer expects that you do a good job of keeping your upholstery in the best condition with DIY cleaning or professional sofa cleaning. Whichever you choose, know that the upholstery does not come with a lifetime of elegance and cleanliness. The onus of maintenance is in your hands.
Table of Contents
How to keep a clean upholstery?
Now that we have seen the reasons for keeping a clean upholstery, let us proceed to learn the basic ways of getting the job done.
- Everyday maintenance: Using the crevice attachment of your vacuum, spruce up from end to end your upholstery with an extensive vacuum cleaning. For vinyl or leather-covered upholstery, the brush attachment of your vacuum should be used, so the fabric is not scratched in any way.
- Remove stain the right way: And that is blotting! Yes, clean up spills from any course by blotting it up with a paper towel or dry, clean cloth. How do you blot a spill? Cove the spilled area with a cloth and hold it firmly against the spill to soak in the liquid; don’t move the cloth around. Some fabrics allow the use of water to take out a stain – confirm from the manufacturer’s guide to clean the upholstery. Switch use of a damp cloth and dry towel to blot stains repeatedly until there are no more signs of the stain.
- Use cleaning agents: But before that, try it out on a hidden area of the sofa to be sure it’s not the type that would discolour the upholstery. Should the cleaning agent be safe to use, apply a little on the sofa; don’t overuse as the formula can get soaked in the fabric padding. Carefully spread the agent over the sofa with a soft brush. Finish up by rinsing the fabric with light application of warm water then take out the excess moisture with a wet/dry vacuum. Ensure you don’t use the sofa until it has dried up entirely.
- Try specific cleaning following fabric: For a vinyl upholstery fabric, sprinkle some baking soda on a cloth and use it to wipe the furniture clean. If it’s leather, soak up a cloth with distilled water and mild soap and clean. Finish up by buffing with a clean towel. You can rejuvenate your upholstery over a couple of months with a mixture of one part white vinegar and two parts linseed oil. Get a clean white towel to apply this mix moving your hand in circles over the upholstery. Allow it seat for 10 minutes and revamp with a clean towel.
- Bring in the experts at the right time: Where none of the DIY cleaning methods are working and the stain is still present, it’s time to enlist the services of an expert upholstery cleaner. Every one to two times a year, upholstery in commercial spaces should be deep cleaned with steam, particularly when they are carrying stains from ink.
- Use our exceptional Forbid finish: This effective overcoat works for vinyl upholstery fabric, leaving your piece resistant to stain, soft and textured. The cosmetics and function of your upholstery is kept intact with this finish.
Over the years, we have successfully maintained a track record of satisfying upholstery owners with meticulous cleaning that surpasses expectations. Having a thorough knowledge of a plethora of upholstery materials, including vinyl, leather, and Alcantara, we offer bespoke cleaning that keeps these fabrics in great condition.
Our professional carpet cleaning London takes on any size of project. And we are your sure plug for unbeatable upholstery cleaning across London. Reach out to us today.