Starting a WordPress Website Designer UK can be beneficial for your personal brand or business. It is a great means of self-expression to increase your online visibility, get closer to your audience and generate additional income.
This article contains a complete beginner’s guide on how to set up a WordPress blog. We cover finding a niche, installing WordPress, publishing content, promoting your blog and more.
How to Create a WordPress Website in a few Steps?
If you want to know how to create a WordPress Website Designer UK and make money on the Internet, follow these 7 steps.
Choose a niche for your blog. Ideally, it should be a topic of interest to others.
Get web hosting and domain name. Buy the hosting that best suits your budget and needs. Next, find a custom name for your domain, check its availability, and register it with your domain registrar.
Install WordPress and set up your blog. We have chosen this platform because it is the most popular.
- Change the design and function to your liking.
- Publish your content. Get familiar with the publishing tools available and start planning, creating and publishing posts on your WordPress blog.
- Promote your blog. Develop and implement strategies to promote your blog to increase traffic and retain readers.
- Monetize your blog. Once you have enough traffic and readership, implement methods like advertising and affiliate marketing.
Choose a Niche for your Blog
A niche is a specific topic that your WordPress blog focuses on and determines your target audience. It will also help you choose your blog name and develop a targeted blogging strategy. When launching a blog page, you may want to cover a wide variety of topics. However, trying to master all subjects is very difficult and not sustainable. You may be able to publish some successful articles, but your readership will be low and it will be difficult to maintain a loyal audience.
That’s why it’s important to stick to niches where you can gain a loyal following. Enthusiastic readers eagerly await your next content, bringing a steady stream of traffic to your blog. To find the perfect niche for your successful blog, keep these tips in mind.
Choose an area that you love or are passionate about. Writing about things you like is always more satisfying than forcing yourself to write about things that don’t interest you. Please be more specific if possible. A good example is a book blog that focuses on reading on a budget. Choose a niche with a potential audience. To make sure you get the readership you write for, you need to have some interest in your favorite topic.
Use Google Trends to find out the search volume of specific keywords related to your niche and see if people are talking about them on social media and community forums. This will give you ideas for writing blog posts. You don’t have to be an expert to profit from your niche. Being an expert gives you a certain authority that many readers crave, but it doesn’t have to be. More importantly, have a unique perspective and a willingness to learn.
For example, you may not be a professional photographer, but you can start a basic photography blog as a beginner. If authority seems essential to your idea, you can include expert interviews on your blog.
Get Web Hosting and Domain Name
Once you’ve decided on your niche, it’s time to start preparing your website for your blog. The two most important steps to getting your WordPress blog online are getting hosting and a domain name. Simply put, web hosting is a service that allows you to publish your website and all of its files online so that people can access your website.
Buying hosting means renting server space owned by a hosting provider. This will give you access to the share of resources you need to make your blog work. Let’s take a look at the two most popular hosting plans for blogs.
- Shared hosting. The most cost-effective type of hosting where users share server resources between multiple websites.
- WordPress hosting. A type of shared hosting optimized for WordPress websites. Starting at €1.49 per month, this plan is perfect if you want to use WordPress for a small blog.
- Every plan Hostinger offers comes with a free SSL certificate, 24/7 live support, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The main criteria I look for in a web host are:
- Convenience. Let’s say you are using WordPress. Can I install with just a button click or two?
- Speed. A fast web host will help your site load faster which will help improve your rankings and traffic.
- Lots of support when you are in trouble.
Digital Marketing Professional and Entrepreneur
Once you set up your hosting, get a domain name. A domain name is what visitors need to type into the address bar to get to your site. For example, hostinger.fr is our domain name.
To get a custom domain name, buy it from your favorite domain name registrar. Some web hosting companies like Holsinger act as domain registrars. Thus, it is possible to buy web hosting and a domain name at the same time.
When you buy 1 year or more of hosting from Holsinger, you also get a free domain name for 1 year. When choosing a domain name, try to make it easy to remember and as close to your blog name as possible. Try our domain name checker to find domain name ideas. A unique domain extension like .xyz, .online, or .club makes your blog address stand out and easy to remember.
If you offer memberships or want your members to feel included, choose the .club domain. Think of Holsinger as your domain name provider and register your domain quickly.
Install WordPress and Set up your Blog
WordPress is one of the best CMS (content management systems) out there and a great platform for building blogs. While it can power almost any type of website, it was originally designed to help you create blogs. Therefore, WordPress has many tools and features for managing blogs.
WordPress has a steeper learning curve than most website builders, but there are plenty of resources to help users learn how to become a blogger faster. Once you start using WordPress, day-to-day management becomes much easier.
The first step is to automatically install WordPress on your blog site using the automatic installer provided by your web host via your control panel.
Here’s how to do it in Holsinger’s hPanel:
- Go to Website -> Auto Installer.
- Click -> Select in WordPress.
- A new window will open.
- Enter an administrator username, password, and email address. This login information will be used to log into your WordPress dashboard or admin area.
- Enter a website title. The blog name is usually written here. You can change this later from the Site ID settings in your WordPress dashboard.
- Select your preferred language.
- Select Always update to the latest version available to get the latest features and security patches.
- Select Install.
Post Content to Grow your WordPress Blog
Once the installation is complete, log into your WordPress admin area. This section will focus on designing and customizing a self-hosted WordPress blog. We will also discuss the plugins and page settings you should include in your WordPress blog.
Choose a Blog Theme
A theme is a ready-made design template for your WordPress site that can be further customized. Third-party sources like WordPress Libraries and Theme Forest offer free and premium options. There are over 8,400 themes available in the official WordPress directory.
With a premium theme, you can expect access to dedicated support, regular updates, and premium plugins that come with your purchase. While free WordPress blogging themes may be enough for some successful blogs, they usually offer little to no support, so premium themes are worth the investment.
Consider the following key factors when looking for the best theme for your blog:
- If you’re considering a premium theme, make sure it’s worth the price.
- Good design. Your theme design should match the content of your blog. When in doubt, choose a simple design that showcases your blog post.
- Characteristic. See if the theme you want includes features like a drag-and-drop builder, ready-made layouts, and customer support.
- Reactivity. Use a responsive theme that adjusts to all screen sizes.
- User review. Before purchasing a theme, read user reviews to see if they have had a good experience with the theme.
To install a theme from the WordPress directory, log into your dashboard and go to Appearance -> Themes -> Add. To install a theme from a downloaded third-party source, select Upload theme, upload the theme .zip file, then install and activate.
Design a WordPress Blog
After activating the theme of your choice, further refine your website design. A general rule is to aim for simplicity. Remember that the main strength of a blog is its content. So make sure the reading and browsing experience is good enough for your visitors.
Consider applying the following tips to make your blog great.
- Install drag-and-drop page builder plugins like Element or and Beaver Builder for a more intuitive design experience.
- Choose color combinations, layouts and fonts that contribute to a pleasant user experience.
- Add image galleries to spice up your WordPress blog content.
- Include your logo to brand your blog. Use icons in place of text where appropriate.
- If you’re feeling stuck, check out our resources for web design inspiration.
If you want to delegate the design work for your blog, you can hire a web designer. Install plugins and tools to extend WordPress functionality. A plugin is a piece of code that extends the functionality of your WordPress website. Plug-ins offer additional functionality and can be installed, modified and removed quickly. Plugin management does not require any coding knowledge.
Different plugins have different purposes. Some improve site security, perform backups, receive contact forms, moderate comments, add Google Analytics to WordPress, and more.
We Recommend Checking out the Following Important Plugins
- iThemes security. This plugin extends the security features of your WordPress site.
- UpdraftPlus. Use this plugin to simplify site backup and restore.
- WP modules.
- Akismet spam protection. As the name suggests, this extension helps fight spam.
- Analysis of monsters. This plugin connects your site to your Google Analytics account.
As with themes, there are free and premium WordPress plugin options. Premium plugins typically offer additional features and support. Some plugins are freemium. In other words, it has a free version with basic features and can be extended by paying for the premium version. Check user ratings and reviews before choosing a WordPress plugin. Some plugins lack regular updates, critical features, or are poorly coded. Plug-ins with high ratings and high downloads are believed to work well.
Too many plugins can slow down your site, so we recommend installing only the plugins you need most. It also makes it harder to keep everything up to date. If you are using shared hosting, activate only 5 plugins at a time. To install the plugin, log into your dashboard and go to Extensions -> Add. Browse or search for the extension you want, install and activate it.
Uploading third-party plugin files is similar to uploading a theme. Just select the Load extension.
Create the Pages you Need for your WordPress Blog
Your website pages contain the static content of your site. Unlike articles, pages require little or no editing or updating.
- First page. This is the introductory page of a particular site. This is what visitors see when they type your domain name into their browser’s address bar. Your home page should contain snippets of your best and latest content.
- Page information. This is the section of the site where visitors can learn more about your website or brand. You can include a bio, the purpose of the site, and a representative photo.
- Contact page. This page contains information on how to contact the website administrator. Contact pages typically include email addresses, phone numbers, links to social media profiles, contact forms, or addresses on Google Maps.
Different types of blogs may require specific page types. For example, if your WordPress blog has an online store, you might need to add product pages to your website. To create a page, open your dashboard and go to Pages -> Add. Go to your WordPress text editor. Use it to create and format page text and add related images, videos or forms.
Planning and Publishing Content
Before you start blogging, it is essential that you have a pre-launch campaign in place. You have to decide what kind of content to publish and when to publish it.
Follow these tips to develop an effective content strategy:
- Clarify your purpose. Avoid setting abstract goals to track your progress. Instead, aim for a specific milestone, such as “1,000 newsletter subscribers by the end of the year.”
- Identify your target audience. Know the commonalities of your demographic: personalities, needs, fears and hopes. Take a look at the online communities that your target audience frequents. If you can put yourself in your readers shoes, your content will resonate with them.
- Find your competitors. Discover the main competitors in your blog’s niche.
- List the topics you write about. To select them, consider your target audience and any information you find about your competitors.
- Conduct keyword research to find out the level of interest and competition for each chosen topic. Each topic should be chosen for a strong database-driven reason.
- Schedule your posts. Consistency is key to retaining your readership. It’s better to stick to a regular schedule than to post a lot and disappear for a long time.
Try to create and publish content at least three times a week. Ultimately, try to do this at least once a day. Try posting in the morning during your time of day or the time you are targeting. This tends to be more effective. If you’re targeting Europeans, do it in the morning, maybe 8am in the UK. This way you can get email traffic and social shares.
Digital Marketing Professional and Entrepreneur
Once you’ve completed the pre-launch process, start thinking about writing your blog posts. Here are some tips for counting all new posts.
- Be clear and concise. Use simple language and keep sentences and paragraphs short. Avoid large blocks of text that might intimidate your readers.
- Use headings, subheadings and lists.
- Add pictures and graphics. Visual content makes your articles more engaging. You might need it, especially if you’re writing a how-to guide.
- Apply SEO best practices. Incorporate search engine optimization into your writing and publishing process with tools like Yoast SEO. This will greatly improve your blog’s visibility in search engines.
To create your first WordPress blog post, log into your WordPress dashboard and go to Posts -> Add. Access the WordPress text editor, a tool for creating and formatting content. Blocks can contain various forms of text, media, design elements, widgets, and embedded content. To select and add a new block, click the + button in the top left of the editor.
If you’d like to include a ready-made template for your new blog post, browse the items under the Compositions tab. Once you’ve finished writing, formatting, and adding content to your article, make sure your settings are correct before publishing. To access post settings, click the gear icon in the upper right corner of the editor.
In the settings sidebar, you can choose to allow comments, add tags, set post categories, and upload featured images. Before publishing an article, preview it to make sure it looks the way you want it to. Go back and edit the article if necessary. Once satisfied, proceed to publish the article.
Promote your WordPress Blog to Grow your Readership
The next step is to get them to read your WordPress blog. This is why blog promotion is essential.
Optimize your Blog with SEO Practices
It is imperative that your website appears high on search engine results pages (SERPs). According to BrightEdge, 53.3% of all website traffic comes from organic search. If your posts and pages rank well in search engines, your WordPress blog is more likely to enjoy a steady stream of organic traffic without having to buy ads.
Here are some of the most popular blog SEO tips.
- Search by keywords. Target specific long-tail, low-competition keywords to increase your chances of ranking well in the SERPs. Gather keyword insights using tools like Google Trends, SEMRush, and Ahrefs.
- Sign up for Google Search Console. This is an essential tool for tracking your website’s performance on Google. Find out which keywords drive the most traffic and which websites link to your site.
- Install an SEO plugin. Yoast SEO is one of the most popular SEO plugins if you run a WordPress blog. Some website builders, including the builders from Hostinger, have built-in SEO features.
- Apply on-page SEO best practices. Important on-page SEO tactics include optimizing images, adding meta descriptions, and editing permalink slugs.
- Improve website performance. A faster page has a positive effect on your SEO. To speed up your WordPress site, follow our website performance guidelines.
Grow your Blog’s Audience on Social Media and Online Forums
Your goal is to find a community of people interested in your niche and drive them to your blog to drive more traffic. 97% of bloggers use social networks to share articles. While this is a popular way to drive traffic, this number also means it is highly competitive. The first step is to incorporate social media into your blog. Readers who find your content interesting or valuable will want to follow your social media accounts and share your content with others.
If you run a WordPress blog, there are many social media plugins available. Installing them will give you access to features like social media icons, share, and Facebook-like buttons. The next step is choosing a social media platform to promote your blog.
Each social media platform has its own characteristics and not all of them are suited to a particular niche. Therefore, it is imperative to research the demographics of each platform before starting social media promotion.
Here is information on the most popular social media platforms to help you grow a successful blog.
- Facebook. The largest social network with 2.89 billion monthly active users worldwide. Men between the ages of 25 and 34 make up 18.9% of the user base, making it the largest demographic on the platform. 98% of Facebook users access from mobile. So make sure your blog is mobile friendly too.
- Twitter. Twitter has 206 million monthly active users, 70% of whom are men. It has a reputation for providing real-time updates on a variety of topics, with over 59% of users admitting to getting their news from Twitter.
- Income. This social news aggregation and discussion platform has over 430 million monthly active users. Adults aged 25-29 are the most popular age group on Reddit, closely followed by 18-24 year olds. Reddit has over 100,000 active communities for just about every niche, making it an ideal platform for finding your target audience.
- Instagram. This behemoth of photo sharing apps has around 1 billion monthly active users. The gender demographic of Instagram users is fairly balanced, with 51% of users identifying as female and 49% as male. If you have visually appealing blog content and your target audience is young, Instagram is the way to go.
- Pinterest. . Female users dominate Pinterest, accounting for 76.3% of the user base. The United States is also the top Pinterest user. This is an attractive option for blogs targeting a majority of American women.
- TIC Tac. Video sharing app Tiktok has established itself as the fastest growing social network, with around 689 million monthly active users. Generation Z dominates the platform, with 41% of the user base made up of teenagers between the ages of 16 and 24. If your blog content is aimed at a younger audience, try promoting your brand on Tiktok by outlining your post with a video.
No single social media platform is the best for finding and building community. I’m in B2B, so LinkedIn and Twitter are great, as is YouTube. Some people work in the B2C industry (brands that sell directly to consumers), so Instagram, Tiktok, and Snapchat might be a better fit.
Digital Marketing Professional and Entrepreneur
Developing an email marketing strategy for your WordPress blog. Email marketing is sending emails to groups to promote your blog. Even in the age of social media, email marketing is still an effective way to retain blog readers.
Note that it is also known to have the highest return on investment (ROI) compared to other marketing techniques. Many hosting providers offer their customers personalized email addresses. If your website platform doesn’t come with email, consider purchasing a separate email hosting.
- Select an email marketing tool. Email marketing tools make it easier to manage your email marketing campaigns.
- Create a list of email addresses. Always encourage new readers to subscribe to your newsletter on your home page and in various articles. To convince them, you can offer incentives such as exclusive content or free ebooks via email.
- Send quality emails. Provide real value in every email you send. Write a compelling subject line that reflects the content of the email. Add a call-to-action button, like Read Here, that links to your blog post.
Try Guest Blogging
Guest blogging is the process of posting content to other websites. The general idea is to get your blog published by posting it on a website with a large number of visitors. This is also an opportunity to include backlinks to your blog, which can have a positive effect on your SEO. Only choose websites that are relevant to your niche, this way you’ll be sure to create guest blog posts that will appeal to your ideal target audience.
When submitting an article to one of the websites of your choice, make sure the subject matter matches the theme of the site. Once your proposal is accepted, I will start writing the guest post. In addition to providing backlinks to your blog, use internal links that direct readers to other articles on your website. Avoid overtly promoting your blog.
Once your guest post is published, keep in touch with the contributing webmasters. If your guest post is well received, your future posts are more likely to be accepted by other bloggers.