Traveling by taxi in Nigeria can be a convenient and cost-effective way to get around the country. However, it’s important to know what to expect and how to navigate the system to have a smooth and enjoyable experience. In this blog, we’ll cover everything you need to know about traveling by taxi in Nigeria.
Types of Taxis in Nigeria
There are several types of taxis you can choose from when traveling in Nigeria. The most common ones are:
- Regular Taxis: These are the traditional taxis you’ll find in most cities in Nigeria. They are usually painted yellow and can be hailed from the side of the road or at designated taxi ranks. Regular taxis are usually affordable and offer a quick and convenient way to get around the city.
- Ride-Hailing Services: These are app-based taxi services that have gained popularity in recent years. They offer a convenient way to book a taxi using a smartphone app and pay through electronic means. Farerun is the best cab rental service in Nigeria.
- Shared Taxis: These are taxis that operate on specific routes and are shared by several passengers going in the same direction. Shared taxis are usually cheaper than regular taxis but can be less comfortable as you’ll be sharing the space with other passengers.
How to Hire a Taxi in Nigeria
If you’re in a city in Nigeria and need to hire a taxi, here’s what you need to do:
- Look for a taxi rank: In most cities in Nigeria, you’ll find designated taxi ranks where you can hire a taxi. Look for signs or ask locals where the nearest taxi rank is located.
- Hail a taxi from the side of the road: If you can’t find a taxi rank, you can hail a taxi from the side of the road. Simply stand by the roadside and wave your hand to signal a taxi driver.
- Use a ride-hailing app: If you prefer to use a ride-hailing app, download and install the app on your smartphone, create an account, and follow the instructions to book a ride.
- Negotiate the fare: Before getting into the taxi, negotiate the fare with the driver. It’s important to agree on the fare upfront to avoid any disagreements later.
Tips for Traveling by Taxi in Nigeria
- Carry cash: Most taxi drivers in Nigeria prefer cash payments. Make sure you carry enough cash to pay for your ride.
- Keep your valuables safe: Keep your valuables such as smartphones, wallets, and jewelry safe and secure. If possible, keep them out of sight to avoid attracting attention.
- Agree on the fare upfront: As mentioned earlier, it’s important to agree on the fare upfront to avoid any disagreements later.
- Know your route: If you’re not familiar with the route to your destination, ask the driver for directions or use a navigation app to guide you.
- Be aware of your surroundings: When traveling by taxi, be aware of your surroundings and keep an eye out for any suspicious activity.
- Stay safe at night: If you’re traveling by taxi at night, try to use a ride-hailing service as they usually have GPS tracking and other safety features. If you have to use a regular taxi, make sure it’s well-lit and use your phone to share your location with a friend or family member.
Traveling by taxi in Nigeria can be a convenient and cost-effective way to get around the country. By following the tips outlined in this blog, you can have a smooth and enjoyable experience traveling by taxi in Nigeria. Remember to negotiate the fare upfront, keep your valuables safe, know your route, and be aware of your surroundings to stay safe and enjoy your trip.