Users of QuickBooks have been experiencing different varieties of technical errors. One error that has come to the fore recently is QuickBooks error 1606. Error 1606 denotes issues within the QuickBooks setup file. This error may also evoke due to issues in the Windows user account or Windows registry-related issues. We will be unraveling the various causes that provide impetus to this error, and later on, we will be covering different measures to resolve QuickBooks Error 1606.
Various causes leading to Error 1606 in QuickBooks
The following are typical reasons for QuickBooks Error 1606:
- A broken or corrupt Windows user profile may be a significant cause of this QuickBooks error.
- The QuickBooks installation DVD has scratches that prohibit the Windows installer from accessing the data.
- This error may also appear due to an unsuccessful or incomplete installation of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Windows registry issue.
What are the different ways of resolving QuickBooks Error 1606?
Users can make use of the below-given methods to get rid of this error.
Method 1: Install QuickBooks in Selective Startup mode
One effective method for evading QuickBooks Error 1606 requires users to get their copy of QuickBooks installed in the selective startup mode. The process involves the following steps:
- To begin with the process, the first step to be followed is launching the Run command by hitting the Windows and R keys simultaneously.
- Thereafter, type in MSConfig in the Run window and then click Ok.
- Follow it by heading to the General tab.
- Within the General tab, pick the option for Selective startup.
- After that, opt for Load system services.
- The next step is to move to the Services page and choose the option to Hide all Microsoft services.
- After opting for the Window Installer from services, click on OK.
- Finally, in the System Configuration window, pick the option to Restart.
- The previous action will restart the system in Selective Startup Mode.
- Upon restarting the PC, get QuickBooks Desktop installed on the system.
- Download the setup file, namely QuickBooks.exe.
- Soon after, double-click on it so as to start the installation.
- Stay glued to the directions displayed on the screen.
- After that, accept the software license agreement.
- After inputting the product and license number, click on Next.
- Reset the startup mode to a normal state.
- On your PC, again hit the Windows and R keys together to bring up the Run window.
- In the window, type MSConfig.
- Then click Ok.
- From the General tab, opt for the Normal Startup mode.
- Click Ok in the System Configuration window.
- To conclude, hit on Restart.
- If QuickBooks keeps showing the error message 1606, then, in that case, move on to the next method.
Method 2: Use the admin account to Log in
- Switch the computer off.
- Use the admin credentials to log in to the PC.
- Now, Install QuickBooks once again.
- Follow the next step if the QuickBooks error 1606 continues to occur.
Method 3: Log out of parallels & sign in again
If you’re using QuickBooks desktop in Parallels on Windows 7 operating system, then just follow these steps to log out of the parallels.
- In the beginning, enter your name in the parallel window.
- Try to Sign in again.
- Select Shared Folders under Devices.
- Next, choose the option to Disconnect All.
- Restart the PC, and soon after, try QuickBooks installation once again.
Method 4: Use safe mode with Networking
- First and foremost, start Windows and keep tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options screen appears.
- Herein, choose the option to launch the system in safe mode with networking.
- Once the Desktop appears, run the setup file to install QuickBooks.
Method 5: Use a new Admin user to install QuickBooks.
You are supposed to set up a new Windows user account with administrative rights.
- You should then restart Windows and login in with your newly created admin account.
- Subsequently, use this account to install QuickBooks.
For Windows 10 users:
- To begin, click on the Windows Start menu.
- Soon after, head to Settings.
- Proceed to accounts.
- Within accounts, click on family and other users.
- In the User column, pick the option to Add Someone Else on This Computer.
- Select ‘’I don’t know this person’s sign-in information’’.
- Also, choose the option to Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Make sure to type in the correct password and user name.
- After choosing an account, hit on the Finish tab.
- Select Administrator from the account.
- Culminate the process by hitting on Ok.
For Windows 7 and 8 users:
- To kick start the process in Windows 7 and 8, begin by clicking on the Windows button on the keyboard.
- The next step involves the user to head to the list of programs and then opting for User Accounts.
- Subsequently, choose the option to Manage the account.
- Now, opt for the creation of a new account.
- Provide a suitable name for the new account.
- Then opt for Administrator and details options.
- Follow it up by installing QuickBooks. Error 1606 should be dealt with by now.
You may also read : Baking Delicious Chocolate and Its Utilizes in Cooking
Having gone through the various methods to resolve QuickBooks Error 1606, it is now time to conclude this discussion. At this stage, we expect that the issue should be rectified on your system. However, if it is still protruding, then call our experts at the helpline 1 800 761 1787 We are always available to assist you.