Our bodies cannot function properly without iron. The production of myoglobin, another protein that is responsible for maintaining oxygen in the muscles, and hemoglobin, a protein found in red blood cells that allows oxygen to be transported to all tissues, are its primary functions.
It is also necessary for several other proteins and enzymes to function properly.
Table of Contents
Foods rich in iron and how they are absorbed.
Dark chocolate, legumes, red meat, liver and intestines in general, dried fruit and green leafy vegetables contain the most iron.
However, the most important factor is how well our body absorbs iron from food, which varies greatly from food to food.
Green leafy vegetables have the lowest capacity, while red meat and offal have the highest capacity.
Fructose, vitamin C and especially citric acid all help the absorption of iron: Therefore, lemon should be used to season vegetables.
Due to the presence of tannins, however, absorption is hindered by tea and coffee, whole grain cereals, spinach and beets, as well as the preservative EDTA.
Intestinal iron absorption is also significantly reduced by a number of drugs: such as antacids, anti-inflammatory drugs and some antibiotics.
Iron deficiency can occur with the use of anabolic steroids, especially testosterone.
decomposition of iron.
The metabolism of iron.
Each part of an adult man’s body contains about 4-5 grams of iron. Hemoglobin-bound red blood cells contain approximately 70% of the body’s iron.
In fact, most of the iron in the body is recycled and very little is exchanged with the outside world. As old cells lining the skin or intestines shed, people lose about one milligram of iron per day, or less than one-thousandth of their total body iron. Menstrual bleeding can double or even triple this rate in women of childbearing age.
There are no other natural ways to get rid of iron in the body apart from these. In fact, other cells with a scavenger function – macrophages – collect iron that comes from other cells of the body that are cyclically dying and reintroduce them into the life cycle. .To maintain balance, the small amount of iron that is lost each day must be replaced.
Iron deficiency and daily requirement.
Iron deficiency develops if this does not occur, either because the amount absorbed is insufficient or because losses are excessive, resulting in anemia over time. On the other hand, if the body receives more iron than it needs, the excess iron accumulates slowly in the body, especially in the liver. This is called iron deficiency and the daily requirement.
Iron deficiency is the most widespread nutritional deficiency worldwide.
Iron deficiency is characterized by tiredness, fatigue and, in severe cases, anemia (iron deficiency anemia).
Other common symptoms are headaches, palpitations, neuralgia and an increased risk of infection.
Men need 10 mg of iron per day, while women of childbearing age need 18 mg, according to LARN tables (recommended daily intake of nutrients for the Italian population).
Supplements with iron
- Due to reserves and regulation of absorption and excretion, an adequate diet usually compensates for iron loss and maintains balance.
Certain conditions require consistent iron supplementation.
Vitamin and iron supplements are even more important in the following conditions:
- regular, intense sports activities: in these circumstances, supplements containing magnesium and iron are often recommended;
- lack of iron: due to a diet with a low content of this mineral (for example, a vegan and vegetarian diet);
- less iron is absorbed: due to intestinal steatorrhoea, chronic diarrhea and celiac disease;
- various types of bleeding and bleeding: ulcers, excessive use of anti-inflammatory or anticoagulant drugs, nosebleeds, hemorrhoids, cystitis, prostratitis and severe wounds are just a few examples.
- gender of women;
- Abundance of menstruation: also known as menorrhoea;
- you are breastfeeding or pregnant.
- Organic iron salts (sulfate, succinate, fumarate, gluconate, or lactate) are the basis of the most common iron supplements taken on an empty stomach to aid absorption.
A number of iron supplements are available at Farmamy online pharmacy Italy at discounted prices:
- 20 capsules of the iron supplement Tecnofer Plus.
- 30 Emacrit iron and folic acid supplement bars.
- Sideral Oro Iron and Nutrient Enhancement 20 Sachets.
- 30 capsules of the iron supplement Subferrina Plus.