Snoring is a common problem seen in several adults across the world. Sometimes, it can be due to an underlying medical condition that needs proper treatment. If not for an underlying medical condition, you can make some lifestyle changes to reduce or prevent the condition. Besides this, taking ‘over-the-counter’ medications as prescribed by a doctor can also help.
Many people simply consider snoring as a minor problem. However, it can ruin a good night’s sleep for the snorer as well as their sleeping partner, This could lead to health issues and relationship woes. Hence, finding an effective solution to this problem is very important.
This article serves as a guide for readers looking for the right anti-snoring solution. Take a look at the various solutions available to prevent snoring.
1. Anti-Snoring Mouth Device
Resembling an athlete’s mouth guard, this device opens your airway by getting your tongue and your lower jaw forward while sleeping. You can get these devices at the dentist’s clinic or even go for DIY kits.
2. Anti-Snoring Solutions or Sprays
Anti-snoring solutions or sprays are known to be one of the most effective remedies to prevent snoring. There are many solutions from different brands globally. However, all of these don’t work equally well. Thus, opt for anti-snoring solutions that are clinically proven to be beneficial. The right product can be your one-stop solution for snoring. This is one of the best remedies for snoring.
3. Nasal Strips or Dilators
You can try nasal strips that can be applied to your nose’s bridge to increase the gap in the nasal passage. This helps you breathe easier, and eliminates or reduces your snoring problem. External nasal dilators are also available. You can apply this stiffened adhesive strip across your nostrils on top of your nose. This decreases the resistance to airflow and makes it easier for you to breathe. You can also try internal nasal dilators.
4. Saline Rinse
The presence of mucus in your nostrils leads to congestion, thus constricting the nasal passages. Before you go to bed, rinse your nostrils with saline. This gets rid of stuffy sinuses. If you are allergic, use an allergy medication or reduce your exposure to dander and dust mites. However, if the problem is due to swollen nasal tissues, use an appropriate medicine or a humidifier. This helps in reducing swelling.
5. Surgical options
If medications or home remedies don’t alleviate your condition, there are various surgical options available to help you stop snoring. Some of them can include modifying the airway. This can be generally done by inserting filament in the soft palate. It trims down the excess tissue in the throat or shrinks the tissue present in the soft palate. Nonetheless, consult a doctor to see if surgical procedures are right for treating your condition.
Home Remedies and Lifestyle Changes
If your snoring condition is not severe, following some home remedies and implementing lifestyle changes is a good option. These can help significantly reduce snoring. Let’s get to know some of these health tips.
- Reduce weight if you are overweight. This can cut down on the fatty tissues in your throat’s back, thus, preventing or reducing snoring.
- Avoid alcohol consumption. It can relax the throat muscles and disrupt breathing.
- Make it a habit to sleep on your side rather than sleeping on your back. This will improve the air inflow to your lungs.
- Keep your head elevated while sleeping. You can stack on 2-3 pillows to do this.
- Avoid taking sedatives or sleeping pills before bedtime. These prescription medicines relax your throat muscles, which can worsen snoring.
- Quit smoking as this habit can also make your condition severe.
- Practice exercises that strengthen your throat muscles. For example, curling your tongue in a specific way or pronouncing certain vowels can strengthen the upper respiratory tract muscles. Doing these exercises can reduce snoring.
- Avoid consuming foods such as soy milk or dairy products before bedtime as these foods can aggravate snoring. Also, avoid eating large meals at night.
We hope this guide helped you with the information required to help in preventing or reduce snoring. If these tips and remedies for snoring didn’t help you overcome the problem, consult a doctor for immediate relief.