Veneered doors are a modern, high-quality and affordable solution for a residential building, office space or other space. Such doors are presented in a variety of options, so before choosing, familiarize yourself with the characteristics of different designs and installation features.
Veneered door design
The veneered door consists of natural wood and particle boards (chipboard or MDF). The design includes a frame and additional elements of the door, on which the veneer is attached – a very thin cut of natural wood. Outside, this layer is covered with paints and varnishes, and the finished door turns out to look like a product made of solid natural wood.
For the manufacture of doors, different types of veneer are used, on which the durability of the outer coating depends.
Veneer door manufacturers
Large hardware stores offer a wide range of doors from different manufacturers. There are several main popular brands that provide high-quality and modern veneered doors:
- ProfilDoors – known for over 15 years, they make doors and accessories for them. In the manufacture of safe, durable materials and reliable technologies.
- “ONYX” – provides a wide selection of both modern and classic veneered doors: budget, premium products and models of the middle price category. Many of them are made with platbands, for the installation of which nails are needed.
- MARIO RIOLI is an Italian brand that represents a variety of high-quality doors with the maximum configuration. Products are characterized by moisture resistance, ease of use and affordable price.
Features of different types of veneered doors
The type of door depends on the internal construction, the veneer used and the decor. Thus, an assortment is created – products differ in characteristics, appearance, features of installation and operation.
Natural veneer doors
Veneer is made from a single piece of natural wood or several layers, carefully stained and glued together. The last option is called fine-line or modified veneer. Such material imitates the surface of different types of wood or even fabric, which characterizes another variety – multi-veneer.
In the manufacture of these structures, dyes and adhesives are used, as well as up to 94% wood.
The production technology involves peeling wood, selecting sheets with a similar pattern, gluing them and pressing them into blocks, which are then planed into sheets of the required thickness for veneering.
Doors with natural veneer have a wooden base, a thin sheet of MDF and painted wood is fixed on it. Budget options include a filler in the form of corrugated cardboard or polystyrene foam, since there are voids inside the frame that are filled.
The main advantages of natural veneer doors:
- natural and safe materials;
- solid appearance and pleasant to the touch roughness of the surface of natural wood;
- affordable price combined with a long service life;
- resistance to low humidity due to varnish coating;
- thermal insulation;
- easy care with the use of products for wood products.
But even high-quality doors cannot stand high humidity and temperature changes, therefore they are not recommended for baths and bathrooms, otherwise the veneer will peel off and the surface will swell. List of disadvantages:
- veneer fades in direct sunlight;
- only suitable for dry rooms;
- it is difficult to choose doors of the same shades, since trees of even the same species differ in color;
- veneer does not tolerate mechanical stress, requires careful handling.
Veneered doors with panels
Wooden paneled doors are made entirely of natural black bedside table of different species. Panels – curly inserts in the frame. In such doors, all external details are glued with veneer: frame, panels, bead. But such door options are rare, since their manufacture is very difficult and labor-intensive.
Blind veneer interior doors
Deaf veneered doors are a smooth or paneled canvas without glass inserts. Inside the frame is a honeycomb filler. There are also hollow options that have low sound insulation and minimal cost. The outer covering is a sheet of MDF, on which the veneer is glued.
Positive features of this design:
- high degree of heat and sound insulation of the room;
- a variety of decor options: panels, straight canvas, decoration with all kinds of overlays, etc .;
- easy installation without the risk of damaging the glass inserts.
The disadvantage of a blind veneered door is that any defects (peeling of veneer, swelling of the coating, the appearance of cracks) that appear during operation are immediately noticeable. This is especially true for flat canvases. But with careful use, they will last more than 12 years.
Doors with glass
Many interior doors are made with glass inserts: frosted, translucent, colored, sandblasted. Glass is used, which occupies more than half of the canvas, or several small inserts are made. Such elements not only decorate the door, but also let in light, further decorating the space of the room.
The sound insulation of such structures is lower than that of deaf ones. Glass can be with a pattern or other decor, but options with frosted glass inserts are popular, on which a narrow glazing bead is glued to visually separate the glass.
Advantages of glass doors:
- diverse design, optimal for interiors of all styles;
- structures of different types of movement: sliding, “accordion”, swing;
- the use of special glass “Triplex”, resistant to impacts.
Low-quality and cheap models often do not differ in durability. Therefore, when choosing, pay attention to the care of fastening all parts and the type of glass used.
Ecoveneer is an unnatural coating: polyurethane foam film with wood shavings. Wood fibers are pressed and mixed with polypropylene. Outwardly, such a coating looks like natural veneer, and inexperienced consumers confuse eco-veneer products with solid wood structures.
The main advantages of this type of product:
- high resistance to moisture – does not let water through;
- resistance to chemical and mechanical influences – non-porous dense material;
- does not fade in the sun; easy to match doors of the same color;
- safe for life even with strong heating of the material;
- imitation of the structure of natural wood;
- easy care – the dirt is easily washed off;
- variety of design options.
Poor-quality doors with such a coating are quickly deformed due to poor fastening of the elements to each other, and the damaged (burst) part of the eco-veneer cannot be restored.
When buying a veneered door of any type, consider these important points:
- the door leaf should be approximately 50 mm smaller than the dimensions of the opening without the box. If the structure is purchased for a building under construction, then it is possible to install any door, but with the dimensions entered into the construction plan;
- inspect the door for defects in the form of scratches, veneer peeling or irregularities;
- determine in advance the direction of movement of the canvas. This requirement is relevant for all types of structures: sliding, swing, “accordion”;
- choose the design of the door, color and decor in accordance with the general style of your room. The shade should be in harmony with the furniture, the color of the walls and curtains.
Is it possible to make veneered doors with your own hands
Veneer of any type is attached to the surface by three methods: hot pressing, cold pressing and membrane-vacuum pressing. It is almost impossible to implement these technologies at home: they require special equipment and professional knowledge of the technique. Therefore, the most affordable way is to make a door from a manufacturer to order or buy a canvas and components in a store with subsequent self-installation.
Making a simple veneered door
The independent production of such doors is very difficult and unprofitable, but it is still worth knowing the technology for the production of simple canvases with your own hands. The option of opening such doors is chosen individually.
How to install a door
Before installation consult to the composite door company, be sure to level the opening, putty the walls, eliminate cracks. After that, proceed to the installation of the door:
- The door frame is assembled, installed in the opening and leveled by fixing with wedges. Evenness is checked with a square and a building level.
- The gaps between the box and the wall are treated with mounting foam, removing the wedges.
- After the foam has dried, install the hinges, hang the doors and adjust their evenness by tightening / loosening the hinge screws.
- The handle and lock are mounted both before installing the door and after.